what's the point of filing bugs against Fedora?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 14 20:56:31 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:54:58AM -0800, pgaltieri . wrote:
> github account just so I could post asking for an update.  The general
> issue is there is an inconsistency with how Fedora bugs are dealt with.
> Some bugs are triaged and re-assigned to the appropriate component if
> necessary. Some are redirected upstream where they sit for weeks without
> being addressed, and others are not addressed at all.

This is an inevitable artifact of being a community-based project with no
strong ability to mandate that anyone do anything. It would be awesome if
everyone could be super-responsive with all of their bugs, and
knowledgeable about all of the code in the programs they package, and so on,
but people have different levels of involvement, commitment, other
priorities, and so on.

The best way to make this better is to pitch in where you can and set an
example.

> If it's preferred that bugs against products are reported upstream is there
> a document that maps Fedora components to upstream sites?

Well, sort of. Each package has a URL as part of its metadata, and you can
see that in the Fedora Package Database. For example, here:

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/calc

But there's no general indication of whether bugs should be filed in a
different bugzilla -- nor, really, is there overall project agreement that
that's best practice. Adding something like that on a per-package basis to
the pkgdb is an interesting thought.