yum-fs-snapshot btrfs howto?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Jan 16 18:05:08 UTC 2014

On Jan 16, 2014, at 6:33 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using btrfs, and decided to give yum-fs-snapshot a try.
>
> After installing the plugin, I see:
>
> fs-snapshot: snapshotting /: /yum_20140116082704
> fs-snapshot: snapshotting /home/: /home/yum_20140116082704
>
> I have:
>
> /dev/sda3 on /home type btrfs (rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache)
> /dev/sda3 on / type btrfs (rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache)
>
> I'm wondering if I should add
> exclude=/home
> to fs-snapshot.conf?

I snapshot boot, root, and home together. In almost any likelihood of a rollback in a bad system update, I'd keep the existing /home rather than rolling it back. But in case of a wrongly delete file or pile of emails, it's useful to also have /home snapshots.

Ideally we'd have snapshots of /home happening much more often, like on a schedule every hour or every day. Whereas with boot and root subvolumes, they only need snapshotting immediately prior to a system update.

Chris Murphy