Finding neighbours on my LAN

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 19:42:17 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 02:27:41PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:14:29 +0100
> Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
> > Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Get a better router that supports DNS as well as DHCP?

My landlord owns the router.  I think the easiest setup for me would be
if the router could assign a predetermined ip for a given mac_address.
I can't setup my computers to use fixed ip as they are portables and
leave the house.  I use fixed ip outside the DHCP range for my desktop.

> Lacking that, the "arp" command may be helpful,
> but arp tables are sort of transitory and incomplete.

I was under the impression all the ip <bla> commands were supposed to be
replacements for arp, am I wrong?

--
Suvayu