Finding neighbours on my LAN

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Jan 19 08:20:41 UTC 2014

On 01/19/2014 03:03 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 02:20:06 -0500
> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> Double nating may result in strange behaviour, depending on the
>> application.  This should be avoided.
>>
> But sometimes cannot be avoided.
> I use a router inside my isp router,
> as it (isp) is not enough control,
> and they can reset it remotely anytime.
> No problems with this setup for 4+ years.

Then you have avoided the problems that we have documented in the IETF
on double nating.  It is definity used and a lot of high cost nats work
real hard at seeing that the customer is happy.  But it is unlikely that
your isp's router is in that class.

and since it has worked for you, it should continue to work for you as
long as your work stays the same.

Let us toast to the universal deployment of IPv6!

Some eon.

Read RFC 1606