f20 - difference between i386 and x86_64 distros

doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Jan 19 20:39:21 UTC 2014

> As I have mentioned, my x86_64 install on my Lenovo is a bit of a
> hack.  Hopefully things will be better for f21, but meanwhile...
>
> I am continuing to have problems.  Most recently, Gnome keeps crashing
> even without suspend attempts.
>
> Soooo, I DO have a drive with f20 i386 installed, and I am seriously
> thinking of falling back to it.  "All" I have to do, is book from it,
> sync my files (mail mostly) from the x86_64 drive, and apply updates.
>
> But what do I loose running i386 on a 64 bit system?  That is the
> serious question here.

I have just been looking to install Fedora in order to run a particular
piece of software that my distro
dos not support at the moment. In spite of the fact that almost all the
download links listed show the
64-bit system, if you read the blurb thatshows up at the beginning of
the site, it says it recommends
the 32-bit version. Generally speaking, all the programs on the 64-bit
system are available on the 32-
bit system, and will probably run at about the same speed, or with
little enough difference that you
won't notice it. Conversely, there are some programs, including the one
that I want to test out, that
are only available for 32-bits.

--doug