f20 - difference between i386 and x86_64 distros

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Mon Jan 20 15:13:02 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> said:
> On 01/20/2014 06:47 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:

> >>Well that is a given by 2026....
> >>
> >>:)
> >>

> >Amazing what a guess will get ya,
> >jail or laurels. :)
>
> The death, so to speak, for the 32 bit time field.  Yes, it is
> handle rather well now in software in preparation for that day, but
> there is still plenty of bad stuff that will make all the planning
> for y2k look like play stuff.

Oh, was that what was supposed to be?  That's not until 2038 (for 32 bit
signed int and epoch = 1970-01-01 00:00:00).

I really doubt that it will be that big of a deal.  Most databases use
actual date fields, not time_t (since time_t already doesn't cover many
interesting dates).  Not all OSes use the same epoch either, so this is
mostly a Unix problem, and most current Unix systems already handle a
larger time_t (if somebody is still trying to make SunOS 4 or SCO run in
2038, time_t will be the least of their problems).

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>