Naughty question: copy Windows XP under Fedora?

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Wed Jan 22 13:34:23 UTC 2014

Am 22.01.2014 00:29, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Frank Murphy wrote:
>
>>> It struck me that there is probably a simpler way of doing this under
>>> Linux, and I was wondering if someone not of a fanatical bent might
>>> help me.
>
>> Clonezilla: http://clonezilla.org/
>> It's gui based, not "expert" technical knowledge required to use.
>
> I've been looking at clonezilla, but it seems surprisingly difficult
> to get it on a USB stick in Fedora-20.
>
> The usual advice seems to be to run tuxboot -
> I gather that there was a Fedora tuxboot package,
> but apparently it is no longer supported.
> There were versions of tuxboot for ubuntu,
> but none that I could find intended for fedora.
>
> I tried unetbootin, which is mentioned as an unrecommended alternative.
> It created a bootable version of clonezilla-live-2.2.1-25-i686-pae.iso
> but when this was run it threw up hundreds of errors, including
>    EXT3-fs: sda1: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features
> with the same many times for each partition.
>
> If someone has actually run clonezilla under Fedora-20
> I imagine a short account of how this is done would be welcome.

I have been running Clonezilla for years from an USB stick which I set
up using "Method B: manual", which basically consist of two steps:
- unzipping the zip-version to a stick with an empty fat32 filesystem
- running the "makeboot" script from inside the stick.

Clonezilla is really easy to use and very reliable (as a test, I
restored a complete Win 7 installation), but for me there are two glitches:

1. It seems impossible or at least difficult to restore singles files
from an image.

2. It is rather clumpsy to restore a backup to a drive which is not the
original one.

Klaus