Converting pdfs to mobi

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 23:39:47 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com> wrote:
> As a followup, are there tools that can convert pdfs to mobi format?
>
> Amazon, as part of its Kindle service, does provide a pdf to azw (Amazon's
> version of mobi) conversion service:
>  - email the pdf as an attachment to the email address assigned to the
> respective Kindle device
>  - put "convert" in the subject line
>  - within a few moments your Kindle account lists the converted pdf
>
> The results are generally good. Once in a while, there is a pdf file that
> was produced either from images (hence no text) or odd formating. In those
> cases the conversion results are weak.
>
> My interest would be in bypassing Amazon's service.

Calibre will convert many input formats to many output formats,
including PDF to Mobi. Obviously if the PDF input is a set of scanned
images, the output will be poor unless you can do OCR on them (haven't
tried that). It also manages all your e-books, can talk to a variety
of e-readers and is a screen reader itself. The UI is slightly strange
but it's well-maintained and frequently updated.

yum install calibre

poc