Adding minimal X windows

Derrik Walker v2.0 dwalker at doomd.net
Sun Jun 1 19:12:17 UTC 2014

On 06/01/2014 02:12 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-06-01 at 11:24 -0400, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
>> I usually just intall xterm.  It will get the minimum you need.  If
>> you want a window manager as well as min X, install it too ( I usually
>> us fvwm for cases like that ).
> Installing xterm doesn't work. Apparently, for many of these X-based
> tools, nobody thought to include X as a dependency.

That use to work.  They use to include X as a dependency.  But that was
probably F-10 or F-11 last time I actually did that.

But here is an idea.  Figure our the apropriate X-server driver for you
graphics card, ( mine is xorg-x11-drv-ati ), and install that. Surely
that will have to get all the libraries and enough for a minimal X-server.

You'll probably need a window manager too.  FVWM or TWM should suffice
for your needs and neither should not give you a bunch of crap you wont
need.  I normally use FVWM in this case ( on full desktop systems I use
XFCE ), but that's just personal preference.

The last time I set up a headless server with a minimal X, I simply did
a yum -y install xterm fvwm, and that gave enough to run X-apps on a
remote x-server.

If I wanted to use it on the system console from time to time, I also
had to install the xorg-x11-drv for what ever graphics card the system
had in it at the time, which gave me enough of everything to bring up a
local x-server.  Nothing fancy, no desk top, but enough so I could run
xterm locally.

Now it seems a lot of stuff is different.

- Derrik