mailing list errors (was: Fedora-like Linux for 1.99GB RAM?)

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang at wsrcc.com
Sun Jun 1 22:24:03 UTC 2014

Sudhir Khanger <sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com> writes:
> Off topic. Is this email sent from your personal email server? I am
> asking because Google shows a warning that they can't verify if this
> message was sent by the wsrcc.com.

Sudhir, thanks for noticing and speaking up!

Not totally off topic.   The issue is that the mailing list software
that fedora uses is an old version that still re-writes the body and
subject yet keeps the "From:" address.   Modern mailers that receive
mail can verify this tampering and will mark the message as such.

The magic is done via the DKIM header in the message as well as the SPF
and DMARC records I publish for wsrcc.com .   Yes I know that will cause
problems for my posts to this mailinglist.   Hopefully when the mailman
software is updated on lists.fedoraproject.org this problem will go away.

(The wsrcc.com domain is 24 years old and is on many spam email lists as
a potential source of forged "From:" addresses.  I see a small, but to
me, annoying 40 messages per day forged with my address.  I want it to
stop and this setting is doing wonders and dissuading spammers from using
my address.)

Probably more than you wanted to know.

-wolfgang