So has anyone gotten their sound to work since it broke a few days ago?

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Mon Jun 2 17:23:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 09:36:52AM +0200, lee wrote:
> Someone <someone249 at openmailbox.org> writes:
>
> > I'm completely up to date, and I've rebooted several times. Has anyone
> > had any luck with playing sound?
>
> Logged in as a second user, that user cannot play sound.  This hasn`t
> been fixed since F17 :(
>
> Any idea how to fix that?

The only salient effect of pulseaudio, to my non-discriminating ears,
is to impose misguided restrictions that prevent anyone but the first
to login from creating sound.  Empirically, these restrictions are
implemented in the package alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, and by removing it,
the restrictions disappear.  It's also necessary to edit /etc/group to
make every last user a member of group 'audio'.

yum info alsa-plugins-pulseaudio tells us:
   This plugin allows any program that uses the ALSA API to access a
   PulseAudio sound daemon. In other words, native ALSA applications
   can play and record sound across a network.

Since I have discovered no need to operate sound across a network, but
frequently want others than myself, ie, root, to generate audible
signals, removing this package has been beneficial.  After doing so
I add to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local a line like
   /usr/bin/play /usr/share/sounds/KDE-Sys-Log-In.ogg
for a pleasing audible alert that systemd is finally done.

--
        David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
        dad at datix.us         www.datix.us

"Wagner's music is better than it sounds."
        -Mark Twain