A word to the wise regarding failed fedup upgrades

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 07:56:35 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 04 June 2014 21:26:36 Trever L. Adams wrote:

> yum check
>
> Then do yum install for anything missing. If you have missing
> dependencies for that, contact me in private, I can provide specific
> files for x86_64. That is assuming you can't fetch rpms and extract the
> files manually.
>
> I have had this happen even with the "proper" clean up methods several
> times. It is a royal pain.
>
> Trever

Thanks for the offer Trevor, I'm going to need all the help I can.

The situation is that I've currently got one open terminal session over ssh
and can do anything that is built into BASH.  So far I've managed to 'cat' a
number of config files and copy/paste into gvim on a separate box.

I can't run many command (even ls fails) because of missing GLIBC libraries.

The system is running on a software RAID setup with sdb being a mirror of sda.

I've pretty much decided that the server is in such a state that it's going to
be easier to build a new one. I'm just loathed to log out my session as I
know I won't be able to log in again, and I'm loathed to reboot to a LIVEDVD
in case I can't mount the filesystems afterwards

The system successfully fedup from 17 to 18 but then failed and got messy
doing 18 to 19. It now thinks the RPM's for 18 are installed but the actual
contents of the RPM's were removed trying to clear away the 19 ones.