How I got Firefox 29 to not be slow.

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 15:59:08 UTC 2014

Hi people.

I realize this isn't a Fedora issue per se but I thought that being a
number of people running Fedora use FF, I'd share my experience here.

I use FF as my main browser.  My apologies to the Konqueror developers.

I do a lot of online research and it isn't uncommon for me to have 10 FF
instances running with over 50 webpages (tabs) open in total.

Lately FF has been very slow.  Probably since FF27, though at first I
didn't pay much attention.  Lately its been a huge annoyance.

I tried everything to speed it up.  Disabling disk caching, selectively
disabling various flash options, changing the graphics backends, etc.  All
to no avail.

Today I happened to stumble upon the solution to the problem.

Out of frustration I installed Chrome and began to use it.   In doing so I
completely closed all the FF instances I had open.  I've done this before,
but for whatever reason, this time was different.

I was using Chrome, doing some light browsing when I accidentally started a
FF instance.  When I did, I received a message stating that there was
already a FF instance running.  I aborted the startup.  I ran a "ps aux |
grep firefox" only to find a ghost firefox instance still running.  I
killed it.  I then restarted FF, only to find that it is now peppy once
again.

I hope this helps someone.