Save everybody some surprises in Fedora 22!

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Jun 9 15:50:44 UTC 2014

On 06/09/2014 05:00 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 9 June 2014 15:41, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>> 1. Is there a yum compatibility test suite? It dnf is supposed to be a
>> drop-in replacement, not having one would seem grossly silly and should be
>> treated as "full stop show stopper".
>
>  From someone that's had to work with the yum API in the past, I think
> such a thing would be very difficult if not impossible to achieve.
I am not sufficiently familiar with yum's internal API to be able to
have a strong opinion.

However, when looking at it from a broader angle, your claim/statement
then would qualify all "compatibility claims" on dnf to be cheating.

> The
> yum API grew organically and never really had any kind of published
> API docs or ABI stability promises. yum as a command line tool works
> well enough modulo multilib and depsolving, yum as a python API, not
> so much.
Well, I start to wonder how people had been able to implement "yum
plugins"?

Do have at least "/usr/bin/yum" compatibilty-test suite?

Ralf