Save everybody some surprises in Fedora 22!

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 22:17:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 12:58 AM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 06/09/2014 12:48 AM, Jan Zelený wrote:
>>
>> Nope, yumex has only a very little to do with yum, it's a separate
>> project.
>> You can use PackageKit or the GNOME software center which will both soon
>> use the same underlying libraries dnf uses.
>
> And what do I use if I don't use Gnome but want a GUI?

In KDE you can use Apper.  (And possibly Muon in the future, which was
developed by the Kubuntu folks but recently gained PackageKit support
as well.)  Not only will it work fine with DNF or yum but in Fedora 21
it will also get the fancy new screenshots and application
descriptions that are available in gnome-software currently.

If your favorite desktop doesn't have a PacakgeKit client, yell at
them.  It's been around for years now and is supported by all the
major distributions.  (I'm rather surprised the MATE folks haven't
forked gnome-packagekit already...)

Also, originally DNF was supposed to keep some compatibility with the
yum python API.  If that is still the case, porting yumex to DNF may
be within the realm of possibility.

-T.C.