f18 keyboard and panel volume controls

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Wed Jun 11 04:56:22 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I put f18 onto a system three days ago and am having a lot of trouble
making some basic things work.

The old way of setting up keyboard shortcuts is gone and the mapping
between the keyboard and XF86, such as Volume Mute <=> XF86Mute are
gone.  They now map to Pragha.  We'll have to chalk that one up to sheer
brilliance on somebody's part.

The standard Volume Control on the top panel is also gone and I haven't
been able to find a replacement for it either.  Having to open Audio
Mixer and/or Pulseaudio Volume Control (whose title bar makes no mention
of Pulseaudio) is absurd to the extreme.

Side note: there is now so much bloat that the only way to get VLC to
play video and audio in sync is to run it --high-priority.  That's a
first for me.

If anybody knows how to bring back keyboard control of volume and
muting, and how to put a volume control back on the top panel I'd be
most appreciative.

Thanks a million for any help,
Mike Wright

ps. If someone finds a bunch of marbles please be so kind as to return
them to me.