SSH question

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jun 13 02:10:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 06:31:39AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/13/14 06:12, Fred Smith wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I feel dumb having to ask this, I feel I should know the answer, but
> > can't dredge it up.
> >
> > I've recently installed F20 on my old eeepc, where it seems to run fine,
> > btw, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect to it from
> > another system with ssh.
> >
> > I've made sure that sshd is installed, and "systemctl list-unit-files"
> > shows it as enabled. As far as I can figure out how to use the relatively
> > new firewall app (and I have to admit some hesitance there since I'm
> > not sure I really DO understand it...) the necessary ports are open.
> >
> > however when I attempt to connect to it with ssh from another box I get
> > I get an instantaneous "ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.117 port 22:
> > connection refused".  And when I attempt to connect back to itself:
> > "ssh -X fredex at localhost" I get the same thing.
> >
> > If someone can give me a whack on the head (designed to joggle my brains
> > a bitg--in a good way) I'd appreciate the guidance.
> >

> Just a bit of information.....
>
> If you see "No route to host" on an ssh connection it would indicate the port is closed.
> When you see "connection refused" it means there is no process bound to the open port.
>
> So you should see....
>
> [egreshko at meimei ~]$ netstat --tcp -ap | grep ssh
> (Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
>  will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:ssh             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
> tcp6       0      0 [::]:ssh                [::]:*                  LISTEN      -
>
> and ....
>
> [egreshko at meimei ~]$ ps -eaf | grep sshd
> root      1269     1  0 Jun12 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -D
>
> and ...
>
> [egreshko at meimei ~]$ systemctl status sshd.service
> sshd.service - OpenSSH server daemon
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sshd.service; enabled)
>    Active: active (running) since Thu 2014-06-12 08:48:39 CST; 21h ago
>  Main PID: 1269 (sshd)
>    CGroup: /system.slice/sshd.service
>            └─1269 /usr/sbin/sshd -D

Ah, yeah. these showed that it wasn't actually running. not sure why,
I used the gui services tool to enable and start it, or I think I did...
but a quick "systemctl start sshd.service" and "systemctl enable sshd.service"
seems to have fixed me up.

thanks Ed!

                         God made him who had no sin
                      to be sin for us, so that in him
                 we might become the righteousness of God."