F20 kickstart can't select a disk

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Thu Jun 19 17:51:44 UTC 2014

Trying to install Fedora 20 via kickstart on a x86_64 server. This has
worked previously on several other identical servers. On this one,
installation stops at the first screen with the error, "no disks
selected". Watching more carefully, the message is first, "failed to
save storage configuration", changing to "no disks selected" after a
moment or two. Examining the anaconda logs (via the alternate consoles)
did not reveal any smoking gun (or I don't know what to look for).

Manually selecting the disk item from the menu, choosing the /only/ disk
on the machine, and selecting "continue" just repeats the error. Doing
that again, this time choosing to manually partition the disk but
accepting all the defaults anyway, the kickstart continues and appears
to finish successfully.

However, the installed system is missing something, or several
somethings. The network does not start. Several other start-up steps
fail. Manually starting the network makes it appear that the machine is
mostly normal.

Repeating the kickstart yields the same result.

Ideas? Solutions? I see that there are several complaints of this
problem back on F18 but I haven't found recent comments.
--
Dave Close