Yum/dnf Search Functionality

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sun Jun 22 21:49:30 UTC 2014

Hi,
     I undertook a search for the string      blueray   in both yum and
dnf and both, in my view, behaved strangely.

     From yum I received the following messages:

yum search Blueray
Loaded plugins: aliases, axelget, changelog, fastestmirror, filter-data,
keys, langpacks, list-data, merge-conf, post-transaction-actions,
priorities, protectbase, ps, puppetverify, refresh-
               : packagekit, refresh-updatesd, remove-with-leaves,
rpm-warm-cache, show-leaves, tmprepo, tsflags, upgrade-helper, verify,
versionlock
No metadata available for Cairo-Dock
No metadata available for adobe-linux-i386
No metadata available for adobe-linux-x86_64
No metadata available for fedora
No metadata available for fedora-HandBrake
No metadata available for google-chrome
No metadata available for rpm-sphere
No metadata available for rpmfusion-free
No metadata available for rpmfusion-free-updates
No metadata available for rpmfusion-nonfree
No metadata available for rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
No metadata available for russianfedora-free
No metadata available for russianfedora-free-updates
No metadata available for updates
  * fedora: ftp.swin.edu.au
  * rpmfusion-free: rpmfusion.mirror.uber.com.au
  * rpmfusion-free-updates: rpmfusion.mirror.uber.com.au
  * rpmfusion-nonfree: rpmfusion.mirror.uber.com.au
  * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: rpmfusion.mirror.uber.com.au
  * russianfedora-free: node03g.mirror.yandex.net
  * russianfedora-free-updates: node03g.mirror.yandex.net
  * updates: ftp.swin.edu.au
0 packages excluded due to repository protections
Warning: No matches found for: Blueray
No matches found

     Why is yum not loading the metadata for all the repositories when
it doesn't have any?

     From dnf I got the following messages:

dnf search Blueray
Cairo-Dock repository 29 kB/s |  33 kB     00:01
Open source multiplatform video transcoder 6.6 kB/s | 5.7 kB     00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 20 - Free - Updates 378 kB/s | 373 kB     00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 20 - Nonfree - Updates 318 kB/s | 106 kB     00:00
Adobe Systems Incorporated 2.3 kB/s | 1.8 kB     00:00
Adobe Systems Incorporated 2.6 kB/s | 1.8 kB     00:00
Fedora 20 - x86_64 - Updates 531 kB/s |  23 MB     00:45
Russian Fedora for Fedora 20 - Free - Updates 64 kB/s | 107 kB     00:01
google-chrome 9.2 kB/s | 3.0 kB     00:00
Russian Fedora for Fedora 20 - Free 64 kB/s |  83 kB     00:01
RPM Sphere 398 kB/s | 6.0 MB     00:15
Warning: No matches found for: Blueray
Error: No Matches found

     As can be seen from the above dnf refreshed the metadata where yum
didn't, but why has dnf flagged no matches as an error when yum doesn't.
     Also, why do both of them issue the 'not found' message twice, once
is sufficient?

regards,
Steve