Cntrl-Alt-F[2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12] do not work

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 19:26:18 UTC 2014

On 06/23/2014 03:20 PM, JD wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Laing, Robin
> <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca <mailto:Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>> wrote:
>
>     On 2014-06-22 13:20, JD wrote:
>     > Using Mate on FC20, with latest updates.
>     > Cntrl-Alt-F keys never worked from the very first login into
>     Mate Desktop.
>     >
>     > These are the installed mate packages. Am I missing something?
>     >
>     > It my be worthwhile to note that at the login screen,
>     Cntrl-Alt-F keys DO
>     > WORK!!
>     > After login, into mate desktop, they stop working.
>     >

>     Is there something that is happening to the keyboard mapping?  My
>     keyboards require a function key to be set to use the Function
>     keys.  Is
>     this being reset when Mate starts?
>

>     showkey can be used to see if they are working.
>
>     On my keyboard, if the F lock button is not pushed, then the keys send
>     anything.
>

>     xkeycaps as well.
>

> ​My KB is the laptop's KB (Dell Latitude E6500)
> There is no F-Lock key that I can see.​
> Tried showkey and pressed Cntrl-Alt-F2
>

> # showkey
> kb mode was ?UNKNOWN?
> [ if you are trying this under X, it might not work
> since the X server is also reading /dev/console ]
> press any key (program terminates 10s after last keypress)...
>
> ​By the above warning, it seems useless to try showkey under X
> But here goes ....​
>
> keycode  29 press
> keycode  56 press
> keycode  60 press
> keycode  60 release
> keycode  56 release
> keycode  29 release
>
> ​And still no effect.​
>
> ​xkeycaps fails to detect my type of keyboard and assumes a 101 key PC
> keyboard,
> which is not the case.
>
> The GUI does not allow scrolling the KB type list so I can select the
> right KB.
> I tried to scroll it with the mouse and with the up/down arrow keys to
> not avail. I tried to drage the scroll bar of each columns in the KB
> config GUI,
> again to no avail.

maybe modify your keyboard layout??

 https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/37617/how-to-change-the-keyboard-layout-permanently/

If you didn't have the graphical way or localectl. You could edit or
create the file /etc/locale.conf and if you were en_US.UTF-8 (replace
with the Spanish-Latin America equivalent). You would place in
/etc/locale.conf

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

Also you would edit or create the file /etc/vconsole.conf and if you
were in the U.S.A (replace with the Spanish-Latin America equivalent).
You would place in /etc/vconsole.conf

--
Paul Cartwright