BackupPC - a brief rant

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 10:03:41 UTC 2014

On 24 June 2014 09:13, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 23 June 2014, Ian Malone sent:
>> Though I'll bet the error doesn't actually mean that the clock is not
>> set correctly. The usual experience is it'll be something else going
>> wrong for which the underlying cause is the clock set incorrectly and
>> anonymous error is being reported that no-one ever expected to get
>> to.
>
> But who could tell?  Because the error message is useless.  The
> information mickysoft provides on their website about that error only
> mentioned that you needed to set your clock.  And the plethora of
> blind-leading-the-blind on internet help sites is completely unreliable
> when it comes to closed source, and inadequately documented software.
>
> Which gets back to the original poster's point:  Software authors should
> make useful error message reports.  Ones that correctly identify the
> fault, and allow you to take the appropriate actions.

My point was if the error report existed it might still not have been
useful if it wasn't coming directly from some kind of clock check.
What happens then is you get people running across this error and once
it's figured out they list the code on their website against this
problem, then you find it and fix it through the magic of google. Not
ideal, especially if you don't have alternative internet access, but
most ways of dealing with post-release problems aren't ideal.

PS, you've misspelt Microsoft. If you want to be consistent you need
to make up humorous[1] misspellings of NetworkManager and Evolution
too.
[1] For low values of humorous.

--
imalone