apcupsd.conf: Which cable type for remote UPS on network?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Fri Jun 27 10:50:32 UTC 2014

vlado99 <V.99 at seznam.cz> writes:

> On 20.6.2014 20:58, lee wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> what type of cable am I supposed to put into apcupsd.conf for an UPS
>> which is connected to a remote computer and monitored over the network?
>>

> Hi Lee.
>
> I have two machines powered by one UPS. M1 controls UPS over USB
> cable, M2 is neighboring machine.
>
> /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf on M1 contains:
> 	UPSCABLE usb
> 	UPSTYPE usb
> 	DEVICE
> 	NETSERVER on
> 	NISIP <M1_ip_address_here>
> 	NISPORT 3551
> /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf on M2 contains:
> 	UPSCABLE ether
> 	UPSTYPE net
> 	DEVICE <M1_ip_address_here>:3551
> 	NETSERVER on
> 	NISIP 127.0.0.1
> 	NISPORT 3551
>
> This setup works for me. M1 and M2 does correct shutdown on power fail.
> Maybe this helps.

Thank you :)

I tried with 'usb' instead of 'ether' for the cable, and it works just
the same.  Not specifying a cable at all doesn't work.

I could argue that 'usb' is more correct for the cable type than any of
the other types because the UPS is connected with an USB cable to the
remote machine.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)