XFS error during mount

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 16:55:39 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Heinz Diehl <htd at fritha.org> wrote:
> On 27.06.2014, Roman Kravets wrote:
>
>> Jun 27 11:14:38 softded kernel: vmap allocation for size 1048576 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
>> What is it meen "use vmalloc=<size> to increase size"? When can I change it parameter?
>
> It is a kernel boot parameter, which you can add manually be editing
> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. Try "vmalloc=256M".

I had quite a bit of trouble around vmalloc/32bit and XFS, I finally
went to 64 bit (vmalloc address space is much bigger--no issues once I
went to 64bit) but that does not help you if your hardware is 32bit
only, if you pentium can support 64bit and you have a 64bit machine
elsewhere compiling a 64bit one there and installing and booting a 64
bit kernel on a full 32-bit userspace is possible (I ran that setup
for 6 months on fedora 18) if you want to avoid a 64-bit reinstall in
the short term.

/proc/meminfo does show basic vmalloc allocation size and usage, so
you know what your current size and usage is and can adjust from
there, I think the vmalloc space comes out of the 1024M of low memory
address space which is the reason for the limit on 32bit.