system-config-lvm

Frederick N. Brier fnb.ml at multideck.com
Thu May 1 11:26:23 UTC 2014

I love Fedora, but after asking about the disappearance myself, the
answer given was less than logical or satisfactory.  LVM has gained some
new features that system-config-lvm did not handle.  Someone decided
that was unacceptable and it had to be removed.  The majority of
applications and system tools do not support every (new) feature.
Development does not occur lockstep.  It would have been trivial to add
something to a readme file or a conditional that warned
system-config-lvm could not be used with your current LVM because you
used a new feature.  As with Gilboa and yourself, I am still using the
basic features of LVM and very happy with it.  To eliminate the primary
maintenance system tool of a feature, is to cut off your user's noses to
spite your system.  I've been doing development for 40+ years.  This
smells like a pissing contest. Perhaps I am not as brave as Gilboa, I
was unwilling to risk building the tool.  I have a USB key that boots
Linux Mint.  Every time I need to adjust my LVM, I have to reboot to
Mint, make the change and reboot again.  That is sad.

- Fred