Gnome weather extension as malware?

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Fri May 2 01:13:37 UTC 2014

On 05/01/2014 07:47 PM, Tim wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz:
>>> This extension gets its weather information from the Norway weather service,
>>> and you can't change this.
>
> Suvayu Ali:
>> This is standard practise among many FOSS weather monitoring tools.  A
>> year or so back most popular weather feeds either stopped, went
>> proprietary, or kept changing their feed structure too often.  At this
>> point many FOSS weather tools moved to the service provided by Norwegian
>> Weather Institute.  It is never going to go proprietary, and will most
>> likely stay alive for the foreseeable future.  It is also rather
>> reliable.
>
> While that sounds reasonable, the 15 second refresh period does not.
> Does it really do that?  Is it really necessary to do so?

I've left the capture running for a while and it seems that the timing
varies.  It's been a while since it last checked.  It seems that the
checks are once per 30 seconds.  So, that's one http call per 30
seconds. I can live with that.

The wireshark filter I'm using is

http and ip.dst_host == 157.249.32.164

I have two locations enabled.