Fedora 20 Update: unetbootin-603-1.fc20

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 2 03:22:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 22:23 +0000, updates at fedoraproject.org wrote:
> UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for a variety of
> Linux distributions from Windows or Linux, without requiring you to burn a CD.
> You can either let it download one of the many distributions supported
> out-of-the-box for you, or supply your own Linux .iso file if you've already
> downloaded one or your preferred distribution isn't on the list.

I thought I'd give this a try, and ran it from the menu, since it was
listed there, only to get this warning message:

  UNetbootin must be run as root.  Close it, and re-run using either:
  sudo /usr/bin/unetbootin
  or:
  su - -c '/usr/bin/unetbootin'

Then it appears to run, if I close the warning.  I haven't actually
tested, yet, whether it manages to run successfully.  But a few things
spring to mind:

If it really *requires* to be run as root, why is it in a menu where it
cannot?  We don't have a "run as" (someone else) option like Windows
has.  Well, at least the mate desktop does not.

Why doesn't the menu call it in a way where appropriate permissions are
requested as you call it?  Other things that need it, such as various
system configurators, get you to type in your password, or the root
password, before the thing continues on.

If it has to be run from the command line, why's there a menu entry?

Have I missed something?  (Before I go through the tortures of trying to
make a bugzilla report.)

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.13.10-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Apr 14 21:00:56 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.