F19: thunderbird-24.5.0-1.fc19.i686.rpm package issue

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Tue May 6 19:49:55 UTC 2014

On 05/06/2014 08:02 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/06/2014 12:26 AM, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>> Hasn't anyone else come across the problem with a corrupted
>> current thunderbird-24.5.0-1.fc19.i686.rpm package in the updates
>> repository ?
>
> Yeah.  It's an inconvenience, but as long as yumex handles the rest of the daily
> updates correctly, I'm not too worried.
Its not really the inconvenience of the bad package that is an issue here, those
things do happen.

It is the fact that the package is signed with an MD5 checksum to validate its
contents. The MD5 signature showed the package was incorrect. But, yum tried
to install it anyway. This seems to suggest that a packages contents can be
modified after signing and still be installed without any errors notified ...

Shouldn't yum/rpm refuse to install if the MD5 checksum is wrong ?