stopping cinnamon-started apps at logout

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang at wsrcc.com
Sun May 11 16:52:48 UTC 2014

I'd assumed that the apps started by cinnamon when I logged in would
also be killed when I logged out.  That doesn't seem to be the case for
non-X11 programs that hang around forever and watch files.  Those
programs just get passed off to PID 1 when one logs out and continue on
their merry way till the system reboots.  If one logs in again, another
instance of the program is started.

The exact program I'm running is a IMAP watcher that watches my remote
INBOX and grabs the new mail as soon as it arrives.   It would be good
if it stopped when I logged out.

          /usr/bin/getmail --idle=INBOX

Any ideas?  Do I have to keep track of the PID myself and find a logout
hook to hang a kill -HUP onto?  Does .bash_logout or .logout even get
called?

 -wolfgang