Sound not working on 3.12.x and 3.13.x kernels for Fedora 20

dwoody1 dwoody1 at charter.net
Sun May 11 18:54:29 UTC 2014

On 04/30/2014 10:08 AM, dwoody1 wrote:
> On 04/30/2014 08:42 AM, dwoody1 wrote:
>>> you might have the wrong card selected.. check the output tab, and see
>>> if you can select a different card. This used to happen to me all the
>>> time . I think somewhere you can change the default to the correct
>>> card.
>>> Right now, my pulse audio volume control is crashing, so I can't really
>>> explain any better, sorry:(
>>>

>> I had tried vlc and selected each card in turn and got no sound from
>> any of them.
>> NOTE: vlc started with audio selected as 'discard all samples'.
>> Selecting visualizations did indicate that there was sound.
>>
>> David
> Error in the above. It does not start with audio selected as 'discard
> all samples'. It was just high lighted. It started with the default
> card selected.
>
> David
I have tried all the recommendations I have received but none fixed the
sound problem.

I normally install a list of programs using ks.cfg. To eliminate the
possibility of not including one or more programs that need to be
installed I re-installed F20 using the dvd and changing the desktop to
xfce with xfce plugins and libreoffice.

The install program made all other selections.

After install I did a sound test using aplay on the original F20 kernel
(3.11) and sound worked.
I then did a full upgrade, reboot and retested using the same program
(aplay) and the same sound file.

NO SOUND.

It would seem to me that one of the sound modules is the cause of the
problem. The sound modules that are install are:

snd_hda_codec_realtek    45592  1
snd_hda_intel          42658  6
snd_hda_codec         155748  2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              13232  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                54679  0
snd_seq_device         13824  1 snd_seq
snd_pcm                81999  4 cx88_alsa,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc         13852  2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer              23750  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    59132  24
snd_hda_codec_realtek,cx88_alsa,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device
soundcore              14123  1 snd

Since I am not very knowledgeable about sound, is it reasonable to
unload all sound modules and reload the sound modules from the 3.11
kernel and re-test?

If so, do I use insmod 'full/path/to/module' that i want to load?
Do I load them in the order that they are listed above? If not what
order do I need to use?

Thanks for everyone's input,

David