Upgrading Windows on a Linux laptop

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon May 12 04:58:10 UTC 2014

On 05/11/2014 09:24 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-05-11 at 19:36 -0400, Doug wrote:
>> 2. If I do, is XP still subject to viruses like it was when it stood
>> alone?
> Yes, it would be.  The virtual machine acts as a "virtual machine."  It
> emulates an actual machine as much as is possible.  So what runs, runs,
> including malware.  You can install to it, etc.  Which should answer
> this question:
>
>>       2a: If so, can Windows malware-killers be downloaded and used?
> An advantage (just one of many), to using virtual machines is that you
> could set up a virtual machine, and make several copies of the image it
> uses.  You use only one of them.  If it gets stuffed, you simply dump
> the damage one, and copy one of your unadulterated back-ups into place.
> Giving you a very rapid recovery method, so long as you didn't care
> about keeping any contents you'd saved between the initial creation of
> the image, and when you stuffed one up.
>
> I would not use XP on the wild internet, any more.  The risk is strong,
> and no real solutions will be around.  A *disconnected* XP box in an
> office that's used as a standalone computer, can keep on running until
> the machine fails due to old age.  It'll have the same faults it always
> had, but couldn't be exploited remotely.  And I do mean disconnected, an
> XP box on a LAN that isn't being actively used with the internet is
> still exploitable.

Thanx for the information. I was hoping to salvage a Windows
version for a machine that is just too slow for Windows 7, but
runs Linux fine, and ran XP fine until XP was effectively killed.
There are still a number of apps that only run on Windows.
One of them is sdr#, which theoretically runs on Linux, but only \
if you're a guru.

--doug