Upgrading Windows on a Linux laptop

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Mon May 12 10:43:31 UTC 2014

Am 11.05.2014 23:52, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2#Updating_GRUB_2_configuration_on_BIOS_systems
>
> I'm not sure if I completely understood the advice in this URL,
> or rather you would apply it, as you say, with a Live CD.
>
> As I understand it, I boot my Live Fedora USB stick,
> open a terminal window and type
>    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
> I presume this is after mounting the /boot partition on my machine,
> so perhaps this should be (?)
>    grub2-mkconfig -o /mnt/boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
> Then I say
>    grub2-install /dev/sda
> or should this be
>    grub2-install --directory=/mnt /dev/sda
> ?

Sorry for having been a bit unspecific.
So I try to recall what I did after an installation of Windows 7 to the
place (/dev/sda1) where XP had resided before (you can't upgrade from XP
to 7, it has to be a fresh install).
This installation resulted in a loss of the grub2 boot menue, because
the windows installer had overritten the mbr. So:
1. Booted from a Fedora Live medium (in fact, a USB stick)
2. Chose "Troubleshooting", went directly to a console (not mounting
    anything on /mnt/sysimage, no chrooting)
3. As I had a seperate boot-partition on /dev/sda2, I gave:
	mount /dev/sda2 /boot
4. 	grub2-install /dev/sda
    (I didn't do grub2-mkconfig at this stage, that would not work
    properly, because the config files in /etc were not available).
5. Reboot

This gave me back the grub2 prompt with the option to boot into Fedora.
I don't remember, if there was the an entry to boot into win7 ('Windows
7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)', probably not, but now, from a running Fedora
system, you can update the grub2 configuration by:
	grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

HTH