Wrong libudev version

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue May 13 00:07:23 UTC 2014

Hi Ed,

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 07:25:31AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/13/14 07:13, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile an application[1].  The compilation succeeds, but
> > fails at the last linking step like this.
> >
> > LINK(target) out/Release/Brackets
> > /usr/bin/ld: warning: libudev.so.0, needed by Release/libcef.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
> > LINK(target) out/Release/Brackets: Finished
> >
> > When I search with `repoquery -f \*/libudev\*', I get back systemd-libs
> > and systemd-devel; both of which are installed.  systemd-libs provides
> > /usr/lib64/libudev.so.1, and systemd-devel provides
> > /usr/lib64/libudev.so, which is a symlink to the actual library.  I'm
> > not sure what I'm doing wrong.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> libudev.so.0 ≠ libudev.so.1

Yes, for precompiled binaries that should be true.  But if there are no
backwards incompatible changes, I should be able to build just fine with
libudev.so.1.  The error above is during the build.  If I'm building
from source, it should just work, isn't it?

> Along with that, from [1]
>
> "Currently, the core Brackets team only supports Debian/Ubuntu as a development environment and for our binary packages"

Yes, I know that.  That is why I was building from source.  Anyway, in
the end I extracted the deb, and did the symlink hack to get it running.
Although I have the feeling their build system is quite broken.

Cheers,

PS: More and more I'm noticing, all these new projects doesn't have any
    semblance of decent packaging.  They just seem to throw some stuff
    together with hardcoded or relative paths, and say try it.  Every
    community seems to have its own package manager.  In this particular
    case it (npm) couldn't detect the system wide libraries, and dragged
    them in again!

--
Suvayu