Wrong libudev version

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue May 13 00:55:55 UTC 2014

On 05/13/2014 01:26 AM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 01:13:31AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile an application[1].  The compilation succeeds, but
>> fails at the last linking step like this.
>>
>> LINK(target) out/Release/Brackets
>> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libudev.so.0, needed by Release/libcef.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
>> LINK(target) out/Release/Brackets: Finished

This kind of warning (Why is this not an error? It should be one!),
could have different causes.

I'd guess, you are trying to link something against a pre-build library
binary (Release/libcef.so), which was built against libudev.so.0.
I.e. this Release/libcef.so is incompatible to Fedora.

The appropriate fix for this would be rebuild libcef.so from source
against the libudev from Fedora. Should this be closed source, you've lost.

> To clarify, I know I can probably solve this by symlinking
> /usr/lib64/libudev.so.0 to /usr/lib64/libudev.so.1, but I would really
> like to avoid hackish solutions like that.
Well, you don't want to do this - You REALLY don't want to do this! :-)

>  Moreover, I thought this
> kind of issues should be handled by the /usr/lib64/libudev.so symlink.
Correct. Linking is supposed to use -ludev, which will pickup the
libudev.so in GCC's linker path.

> Does that mean the brackets project has a buggy build system?

Probably, but the build-log is not verbose enough to be sure about it
(Which is a bug on its own).

>  Or does
> the fault lie with Fedora?

Ralf