Upgrading Windows on a Linux laptop

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Thu May 15 04:26:51 UTC 2014

Sudhir Khanger,
http://sudhirkhanger.com
https://github.com/donniezazen
On May 15, 2014 4:53 AM, "Doug" <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:

> On 05/14/2014 06:41 PM, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 8:19 AM, fedora <fedora at ayni.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ever considered to install W XP as a VM on linux?
>>> I was successful with both of them (XP and 7) installed on VirtualBox
in Linux.

>> This sounds like the best solution.
>>
> I asked and found that XP will still have the same vulnerability on a VM
as if
> it were installed to its own partition. I came to the conclusion that if
a given
> machine simply cannot run Win 7 because it's too slow, that it would be
> necessary to obtain a better machine, OR only use XP with no internet
> connection. This is possible if you dual boot with a Linux system. You can
> access the 'net via Linux, and transfer any needed download to XP from
> the Linux partition. A bit clumsy, but virus-free.
> (I don't actually know how to make sure that nothing can get thru the
> ethernet port to XP. I don't believe it's possible to remove Internet
Explorer, and
> I don't know if it's still vulnerable if you never access it.)
> Of course, the other answer is not to have an ethernet connection at all,
and to
> move all files to XP via USB sneakernet.
>
> --doug
>
> --

It depends on what you plan to use it for. I have to run something on an
older version of Visual Studio. Window XP is obviously faster than Windows
7 or 8. So I only run VS on XP VM. No internet explorer or no other
software on XP for that matter. I use a shared folder and might consider
disconnecting from internet altogether. I think that's way more convenient
and relatively safer from dedicated Windows install.