changing editor in m-c

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:32:43 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 01:52:11PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I have tried suggestions from Googling including exporting EDITOR in
> $HOME/bashrc...running select-editor ( doesn't appear to be on Fedora )and
> creating a .select_editor text file in HOME. None have worked so
> far.
>
> If I open a terminal first then m-c loads the proper editor...but if I
> call m-c from a desktop file which loads a terminal, then loads m-c with the
> -e option then vi is loaded.

When you open a terminal and run mc yourself, bash is run in interactive
mode.  Whereas using the desktop file is not.  Since you set the value
of EDITOR in ~/.bashrc, only the interactive knows about it (see the
"Invocation" section in man bash).  All environment variable related
setup should go in ~/.bash_profile.  If you use multiple kinds of
sh-like shells, it should be ~/.profile.  This way your whole session
inherits the environment.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu