changing editor in m-c

Frank McCormick beacon at videotron.ca
Thu May 15 13:26:12 UTC 2014

On 15/05/14 05:38 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2014 13:52:11 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
>
>> I have spent sometime trying to figure out how to change the default
>> editor in Midnight Commander. I am running XFCE most of the time on
>> Fedora 19
>>
>> I have tried suggestions from Googling including exporting EDITOR in
>> $HOME/bashrc...running select-editor ( doesn't appear to be on Fedora
>> )and creating a .select_editor text file in HOME. None have worked so
>> far.
>>
>> If I open a terminal first then m-c loads the proper editor...but if I
>> call m-c from a desktop file which loads a terminal, then loads m-c with
>> the -e option then vi is loaded.
>>
>> I am missing something.
>
> First of all, it's "mc" ("man mc") or "MC" (as pointed out in the README). ;)
>
> Disabling "use internal edit" in mc's menu and setting $EDITOR works for
> me. Obviously, this can only work if the environment is kept intact and
> not deleted prior to executing programs. Some terminals and tools don't
> pass on the user's environment variables when executing programs. If you
> make your desktop file not run mc but a script or another terminal, does
> echo $EDITOR still show your customized setting?

   It used to work when the desktop file ran a script consisting of
(xterm -e mc) but stopped working when it ran xterm -e mc. Another
user suggested exporting EDITOR in ~/.profile, which works. Of course
EDITOR is now exported in ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc and ~/.profile. So
I guess ~/.profile is the place it belongs in this case.

--
1984 was not meant as a blueprint for
democratic governments.