Logitech C310 webcam- sound back

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Thu May 15 23:58:03 UTC 2014

On 05/15/2014 05:15 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 15 May 2014 13:17, Paul Cartwright <pbcartwright at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/15/2014 04:03 AM, Ian Malone wrote:
>>> Until you have pavucontrol fixed there is a command line approach. I
>>> think this should work:
>>> $ pacmd list-sources
>>> ... find out the number N for your webcam (look for "index" at the
>>> start of a section mentioning its type, or do something like:
>>> $ pacmd list-sources|grep -E "device.product.name|index"
>>>
>>> $ pacmd set-default-source N
>>>

>>> To move a particular one (e.g. skype) once already started,
>>> $ pacmd list-source-outputs
>>> ... find the number M for skype.
>>> Or something like:
>>> $ pacmd list-source-outputs|grep -E "index|application.name"
>>>
>>> $ pacmd move-source-output M N
>>> ... should move only skype (output M) to the microphone (source N)
>>>

>>> I've reconstructed this from what you'd do for sources, for which the
>>> equivalents would be:
>>> list sinks
>>> set-default-sink
>>> list-sink-inputs
>>> move-sink-input
>>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/71863/how-to-change-pulseaudio-sink-with-pacmd-set-default-sink-during-playback/72076#72076
>> well, I finally got my sound back, I had to set-default-source &
>> set-default-sink back to my main SB card..
>> still no mic in Skype, but at least I have sound back. shouldn't play
>> around with pacmd without knowing what the defaults WERE:) or at least
>> the file it modifies..
>>
> :( Sorry about that.
>
> While you're making a test call Skype should show up as an output. For
> me this looks like:
> $ list-source-outputs|grep -E "index|application.name"
>     index: 3
>                 application.name = "PulseAudio Volume Control"
>     index: 4
>                 application.name = "PulseAudio Volume Control"
>     index: 5
>                 application.name = "PulseAudio Volume Control"
>     index: 6
>                 application.name = "PulseAudio Volume Control"
>     index: 12
>                 application.name = "PulseAudio Volume Control"
>     index: 13
>                 application.name = "Skype"
you really mean :
$ pacmd list-source-outputs...

I got
$ pacmd list-source-outputs|grep -E "index|application.name"
pbc at pauls-server:~$

> I'd misunderstood and thought you had no microphone recording, it
> sounds like you have no sound altogether.
> To move the microphone for Skype only I'd do:
> $ pacmd move-source-output 13 1
> (To move to source 1)

so when I tried a skype test call I got:
$ pacmd list-source-outputs|grep -E "index|application.name"
    index: 3
        application.name = "Skype"
pbc at pauls-server:~$ pacmd move-source-output 3 1

but as soon as the call ended I still have no sound., and every time I
run it the index is different.

--
Paul Cartwright