SNA Acceleration for Intel Graphics

Justin Brown justin.brown at fandingo.org
Fri May 16 16:54:07 UTC 2014

I'm trying to test Intel's SNA acceleration on Haswell, but Xorg is
not loading my settings. All of the documentation on enabling SNA is
basically the same. Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
containing

 Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "AccelMethod"     "sna"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
 EndSection

Then reboot. Unfortunately, my Fedora 20 system always keeps using UXA
acceleration based on

~: grep -ie uxa -ie sna /var/log/Xorg.0.log
 (II) UXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:

I've read through the full /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and don't see any
sort of errors. From the beginning of the log, this section seems like
the only relevant part:

 (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
 (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
 (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
 (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
 (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
 (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
 (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
        Using a default monitor configuration.
 (==) Automatically adding devices
 (==) Automatically enabling devices
 (==) Automatically adding GPU devices

Has anyone else been able to enable SNA in Fedora 20 and were any
special steps needed?

Thanks,
Justin