strange sendmail behavir

Jack Craig jack.craig.aptos at gmail.com
Sun May 18 18:37:49 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Steven Stern <
subscribed-lists at sterndata.com> wrote:

> I have root aliased to "webmaster at mydomain.com" in /etc/aliases.  When I
> use "sendmail -bv root", it shows that the mail will be send to
> "webmaster at mydomain.com".
>
> But when I use "mail root", the mail goes to
> "root at mylocalhost.mydomain.com".
>
> Mail is handled by a SMARTHOST statement going out to a gmail mx server,
> but the problem remains if I let it default to finding an MX on its own.
>
> I'm baffled.
> --
> -- Steve
> --

*you might try some of these sendmail debug chants, ...*

   cat /var/log/maillog | grep -c 'reject='

to reset service

   /etc/init.d/sendmail {start|stop|restart}

sendmail logging levels

*-d0     General debugging.-d1     Show send information.-d2     End with
finis( ).-d3     Print the load average.-d4     Enough disk space.-d5
Show events.-d6     Show failed mail.-d7     The queue file name.-d8
DNS name resolution.-d9     Trace RFC1413 queries.-d9.1     Make host name
canonical.-d10     Show recipient delivery.-d11     Trace delivery.-d12
Show mapping of relative host.-d13     Show delivery.-d14     Show header
field commas.-d15     Show network get request activity.-d16     Outgoing
connections.-d17     List MX hosts.*

12 SMTP connects logged at LOG_INFO.
13 Log bad user shells, world-writable files, and other questionable
situations.
14 Connection refusals logged at LOG_INFO.
15 All incoming and outgoing SMTP commands and their arguments logged at
LOG_INFO.

sendmail -v -d0.15 -bv jackc