update grub2

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun May 18 21:31:28 UTC 2014

On Sun, 18 May 2014 22:30:46 +0200, Patrick Dupre wrote:

> > You've skipped looking at /proc/cmdline (which would also tell the root=
> > kernel parameter used at boot-time).
> It is correct:
> BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.14.3-200.fc20.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/VolGrpSys_DK1-root ro rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 rd.lvm.lv=VolGrpSys_DK1/root vconsole.keymap=fr rd.luks=0
> >
> > As a trouble-shooting step, what happens if you enter GRUB2 boot menu
> > and change the root= parameter before booting?
> Of course it works, it is what I have to do when the grub.cfg in incoreect.
>

> Could please tell me how this possible (my previous question)?

Do you mean that /etc/fstab keeps reverting from DK1 to your DK0 root?

Or to phrase that question differently: if you fix the error in /etc/fstab,
are new kernel updates still added with a DK0 root= parameter?

Theoretically, you can boot to an older kernel, erase the latest one
and reinstall it for testing.

What is located on DK0-root?
When running DK1 root, does os-prober generate any boot entries for the DK0 root?

And yes, if you think that doesn't answer your question, I haven't seen the
missing details yet, such as: Is this a fresh install? When did the symptoms
occur for the 1st time? And the answers to above questions. Too much guess-work
needed so far. Clearly if /etc/fstab is wrong, that bears a risk of propagating
into grub.cfg or boot-related files.