update grub2

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun May 18 22:42:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:08:54 +1000, Stephen Morris wrote:

>      My experience with grubby being run after kernel installs, when I
> have been able to get it to run, is that it does recreate the entire
> grub.cfg file. For example, I have been in the situation where the boot
> menu had an entry for the latest kernel followed by an group entry for
> 'Advanced Fedora Options' (or something similar) along with the same
> structure for Ubuntu, then after running grubby, the groupings were
> removed and all the entries that were listed in the groups were moved to
> the top level.

Can't confirm.

These are the steps I've tested with on Fedora 20:

1) In /etc/default/grub I've set

  GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=false

2) I've run  "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg"  to create the
  grub.cfg with submenus.

3) I've saved grub.cfg as ~/grub.cfg.MKCONFIG

4) I've run  "yum --enablerepo=rawhide install kernel"  to add the kernel
  package from Rawhide.

5) I've run  "diff -u ~/grub.cfg.MKCONFIG /boot/grub2/grub.cfg"  to display
  the differences.

What has changed in grub.cfg?

 * a new "menuentry" block for the new kernel at the top
 * removed trailing whitespace at the end of "linux" lines
 * replaced double-quote characters with single-quotes in menuentry blocks

Upon  "yum history undo …"  only the added menuentry block was removed
again.