Sending email to my local server

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon May 19 16:43:58 UTC 2014

On 05/18/2014 05:06 PM, Timothy Murphy issued this missive:
> I'm trying to send email from my Fedora-20/KDE laptop "rose"
> to my CentOS-6.5 local home server "grover"
> (in order to run a SpamAssassin test),
> but I am finding this surprisingly difficult.
>
> I've tried with KMail and mail,
> sending email to "tim at grover", "tim at grover.localdomain",
> and various other combinations, but all fail with "recipient rejected".
> And telnet gives
>    [tim at rose ~]$ telnet 192.168.2.5 25
>    Trying 192.168.2.5...
>    telnet: connect to address 192.168.2.5: Connection refused
>
> Is there a setting I could change, or is the exercise hopeless?

Are you certain that grover is running an MTA and that it's listening
to anything other than 127.0.0.1? Easiest way to find out:

	# netstat -lpnt | grep :25

If you only see something like:

	tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25 ...

then it's running, but won't accept incoming mail from the outside
world. You'll need to bugger the config to make it listen to an
additional IP. How you do that depends on if it's sendmail or postfix.

If you don't see a line like that at all, then your MTA isn't even
running.
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -