Sending email to my local server

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue May 20 13:45:44 UTC 2014

Rick Stevens wrote:

>> I'm trying to send email from my Fedora-20/KDE laptop "rose"
>> to my CentOS-6.5 local home server "grover"
>> (in order to run a SpamAssassin test),
>> but I am finding this surprisingly difficult.

> Are you certain that grover is running an MTA and that it's listening
> to anything other than 127.0.0.1? Easiest way to find out:
>
> # netstat -lpnt | grep :25
>
> If you only see something like:
>
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25 ...
>
> then it's running, but won't accept incoming mail from the outside
> world. You'll need to bugger the config to make it listen to an
> additional IP. How you do that depends on if it's sendmail or postfix.

Thanks very much for your help.
The above command gives

  [root at grover mail]# netstat -lpnt | grep :25
  tcp  0  0  0.0.0.0:25  0.0.0.0:*  LISTEN  27501/sendmail

I'm using sendmail on this server,
and I previously modified sendmail.mc as follows:

  dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
  DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA')dnl

(afterwards running /etc/mail/make and re-starting the sendmail service).

I take it from the result of your command that sendmail on the server
is only listening to localhost?

I should say that this is not a vital issue for me.
I was just trying to send the gtube spam test string to the server
to test SpamAssassin (which is working, but not as well as I would like).
If I send the message to my email address, it goes to my ISP's server,
which not surprisingly rejects it.

I realise now I could, and probably should, have sent the email
directly from the server rather than from my laptop.
When I do this I see that it is rejected with an SA score of 997.1
which seems like overkill!
This worked when sent (with "mail") to tim , tim at localhost ,
tim at localhost.localdomain and tim at grover.gayleard.com ,
but not when sent to tim at grover or tim at gayleard.com .
It also works in exactly the same cases
when I undid the change to sendmail.mc