Why doesn't Fedora 20 find my print server?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 21 07:56:16 UTC 2014

For many years, now, I've run a CUPS server on my LAN, that any distro
of Linux I've switched on has managed to find the printers it publishes,
without me having to do any client configuration on the PC, other than
making sure the firewall isn't in the way.

The CUPS server advertises itself, the clients find it, automatically,
and when I want to print something, there's a list of available printers
that I can print to.  This is how it's supposed to work.

Fedora 20, however, finds nothing.  I don't want to have to go around
configuring all the clients, and all the user accounts on each of the
clients.  That's a really dumb way of doing things, something that CUPS
and Linux used to manage to avoid.

Nor do I want to play silly buggers with Avahi.  None of the printers
are UPnP/zeroconf thingummies, nor the print server.

What is wrong with the Fedora 20 CUPS client?

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.14.3-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 6 19:23:18 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.