Off topic: HP UPS battery

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sat May 24 17:02:45 UTC 2014

Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> writes:

> On 05/24/2014 06:29 AM, lee wrote:
>> Les Howell <hlhowell at pacbell.net> writes:
> /large snip/
>>
>> [1]: My latest example is HP being unable to replace a simple UPS
>>       battery.  They said I could file a support ticket they, of course,
>>

> If you had taken the UPS apart, you would have found a battery that
> could easily have been replaced

Since the UPS is running 24/7, I wanted an actual replacement battery
and not take any unnecessary risk of things going up in flames.

> and HP is not in the battery business,

They are selling these UPSs for about 400, with batteries included.
That puts them very well into the battery business.

> so you could buy a replacement from a source that would almost surely
> be cheaper!

Batteries with the same specs are not available elsewhere; you can only
get them with smaller connectors.  Can you guarantee that the smaller
connectors don`t melt down?  And why doesn`t HP use batteries that can
easily be replaced from other sources when they are incapable of
delivering replacements?

Now go ahead and buy one of their servers for $10k+.  After a few years
one of the fans or the PSU or something else in it fails and you have to
buy a new server for another 10k+ because HP is unable to deliver the
required spare part which isn`t available anywhere else.  Do you want to
take that risk?

Batteries in UPSs are parts which last only so long before they have to
be replaced.  One can expect from a big manufacturer like HP that
replacement parts for their products are readily available, especially
for crucial products like UPSs.

One can also expect that HP knows that batteries in UPSs last only a few
years and that their customers will need replacements.  When they don`t
know this or don`t care about their customers, or when they argue that
they are not in the business, then they better close the whole company
right away.

That HP fails miserably to even give you a price for a spare part for
one of their products which regularly needs to be replaced and that they
are completely unable to deliver the part only shows that HP utterly
sucks.  Why take the risk of buying anything from them?

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)