Moving Fedora system to new disk

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed May 28 14:34:37 UTC 2014

To:             	users at lists.fedoraproject.org
From:           	Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
Subject:        	Moving Fedora system to new disk
Date sent:      	Wed, 28 May 2014 14:36:27 +0100
Send reply to:  	gayleard at eircom.net,
	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>

<mailto:users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> I'm planning on moving the Fedora-20 system on my laptop
> to a new hard disk (500GB instead of 80GB).
> I've partitioned the new disk.
> When I copy partitions from the old disk to the new one
> with "cp -a" (running under a Fedora Live CD)
> I get a lot of messages of the form
>   diff: a/bin/acroread: No such file or directory
>   diff: b/bin/acroread: No such file or directory
>
> All the messages concern symbolic links.
> I see in "man cp" that  "cp -a" included
>   "--no-dereference never follow symbolic links in SOURCE"
>
> Does this mean cp is not an appropriate way to copy partitions?
> I thought of using dd, but the partitions are not the same size,
> and I was not sure if this would cause problems.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.
One issue that you may run into is that the UUID of the disks will not be the
same, so without modifying the boot files, the system will not work.

Generally, I just clone the old disk to the new disk using a livecd with G4L,
which I am the maintaner of, or other ones like clonezilla or G4U. That will
give you the same size partitions on the new disk, but you can then use other
programs like gparted or LVM utilities to use the extra space.

I recently cloned an 80G disk to a 1T disk with no issues, and since the clone
process uses dd to copy the raw data, all the links and other issues are not a
problem.

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
>

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA     15887438.900756   |   SETI        26475216.029716
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    25267413.884942