Moving Fedora system to new disk

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed May 28 18:00:12 UTC 2014

Tom Horsley wrote:

> I've used rsync to do this (you have to go through the gazillion
> options to get all the appropriate ones though).

Thanks for your and the many other suggestions.
I'm going to follow your advice and use rsync,
which seems most appropriate since the I have already copied the partitions.

I'm planning on saying "rsync -auvz" (which is my usual recipe).
If anyone can suggest better options I shall be glad to hear them.

> You'll also have to do something like boot from a live CD
> in order to run grub-install (or grub2-install) to make the
> new disk bootable.

I did actually do that, after changing the UUID settings in fstab.
But I was surprised to find that Fedora-20 Live CD (on a USB stick)
did not seem to do the trick, but the Netinstall CD did the job.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net