Moving Fedora system to new disk

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu May 29 12:09:16 UTC 2014

On 05/29/14 07:31, Joachim Backes wrote:
<<<>>>

hello Joachim,

> Hi G, you are sure?
>
> backes at eule [~]: rm -rf 'aa aa' 'bb bb'
> backes at eule [~]: mkdir 'aa aa'
> backes at eule [~]: cp -xaP 'aa aa' 'bb bb'/
> backes at eule [~]: ls -l aa* bb*
> aa aa:
> total 0
>
> bb bb:
> total 0
>
> My /bin/cp belongs to coreutils-8.21-21.fc20.x86_64

'sure as God made little green apples'. :=)

please excuse omission, as i did fail to mention this is with
CentOS release 6.5 (Final).

i had same problem with with sl5.? when i stopped using it.

tho, it could be that it is fixed in fedora and not yet in rhel.

then again, being that your directories have no files and are
top of path, it copies.

and again, being that it has been awhile that i found this
problem, it may be just files, as my 'chemo brain' recalls,
it happened when saving web pages and then coping them elsewhere.
[to many web pages are written with oos] now, when i copy web
pages that have spaces in their names, i either omit space or
use '-' for space.

also, from habits of early unix days, i never create directory
or file names with spaces.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.