Fedora-like Linux for 1.99GB RAM?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang at wsrcc.com
Sat May 31 20:55:36 UTC 2014

Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli at gmail.com> writes:
> I need a new OS for an old computer, an about 10 years old x86. I
> upgraded RAM from 500MB to 2GB, though Windows XP reports 1.99 GB.
> I would have installed Fedora, but they say the requirements are at
> least 4GB RAM.

My trusty laptop which I have been updating since FC4 max's out at 2GB.
Once booted, Cinammon logins work just fine as long as one doesn't run
any memory pig (like Google Chrome with Adblock active).  That pushes
things over the edge by a small amount of memory.  Closing Chrome gets
me back under the magic 2GB boundry and things run at normal speed
again.

Booting does rattle the disk quite a bit.  I assume it is swapping, but
I've learned to turn the laptop on before going to the kitchen to make
coffee.  The laptop is always up and running by the time coffee is
done. ;-)

Why not try installing F20 and see if it works for you?

-wolfgang