google cloudprint *client* for fedora?

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 16:28:19 UTC 2014

On 11/06/2014 08:26 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Thursday 06 November 2014 13:20:00 Neal Becker wrote:
>> I just got a google cloud enabled printer.  Is there a _client_ for fedora
>> to work via cups?  Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> -- Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it
>
> I've done this on  a couple of workstations, both printing to a remote Google
> Cloud printer and active as a server to allow a traditional printer over
> Google Cloud Print.
>
> I can't remember how to do it, but Googling "Google Cloud Print Linux" is all
> I did to get started.
>
> You will need to install Google Chrome too as this is what's used for both the
> client and server options.
>
> Gary

here's what I've done to allow my non-google cloud printing printer to be a cloud printer:

In my case I'm using the unstable version of chrome.  I created a script (start_cloud_print) that has the following information:

#!/bin/bash
ps -ef | grep cloud-print | grep -v grep > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ "$?" -eq "1" ]
 then
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/google/chrome:/opt/google/chrome-unstable  /opt/google/chrome-unstable/chrome
--type=service --enable-cloud-print-proxy --no-service-autorun --noerrdialogs --user-data-dir=/usr/local/etc/googlecloudprint/ &
fi

Since I run multiple terminal windows I only want my this to run once.  Then I have .bashrc exec start_cloud_print.  In this way I
ensure that my cloud printer get's started anytime I'm logged into my computer.  I suppose I could write  a systemd startup script
for this so*I wouldn't have to be logged in and this would run every time I restarted my laptop but...

Kevin